Friday, December 3, 2010

A Christmas Baking Disaster

So I just moved into my condo in September and am anxious to win over my neighbors with my obvious charm and holiday spirit. Go ahead, call me a Brown Noser. I know you're thinking it.


Anyway, I'm thinking shortbread or sugar cookies this year...something easy. Because a few years ago we were making buttertarts and things didn't go well.

I was in charge of reading the amount of what ingredient to add. Should have used a ruler. The ingredients were on the left side, and the amount was on the right side. Where I should have told my friend to add a "dash of salt", I read the wrong amount, and told her instead, "5 tablespoons". Oopsie!

It gets worse. Since we hadn't yet realized the mistake, neither of us did a taste test before wrapping them up or handing out to friends, family and co-workers. Oopsie X 2.

You don't easily recover from that kind of embarrassment. They still tell me to stay out of the kitchen whenever I visit.

1 comment:

  1. I mixed up an unlabled jar of beef stock for brown sugar once. Those cookies were terrible.

    ReplyDelete